Skip to main content

What People Don't Tell You About the TWW

Today is 7dpiui (7 days post IUI) which means we're half way through the two week wait!

There are tons of ideas on the internet about how to survive the two week wait. You can: write in a journal (or blog), go to the movies, shop, go out to dinner, hang out with friends, clean, brainstorm baby names, garden, take the dogs for walks, read, etc. The goal is to find something you enjoy that will keep you busy (and sane).

While these activities make it sound as though the TWW is a joyous time, the truth is that the TWW is post ovulation limbo. It's hell. You try to tell yourself not to think about it, but it's useless. (consciously ignoring it actually forces you to think about it MORE!)

If you're like me, you'll assume the role of obsessor, analyzer, researcher, and comedian. You'll spend 90% of your free time googling cervical mucus, implantation bleeding, and signs of early pregnancy. The other 10% will be spent questioning your partner about how she is feeling (desperately hoping for another "symptom" to research!) You'll also want to take care of her. After all, she could be carrying your child.

If you are the one who is lucky enough to have had the pleasure of a speculum inserted inside you, you'll most likely become a hormonal mess (pregnant or not). You'll cry over the smallest things and laugh 3 seconds later. You'll become obsessed with the idea of taking a HPT. You'll look at the toilet paper after wiping (secretly hoping to see a sign of implantation bleeding). You'll start checking out clothes in the maternity section (even if just from a distance). You'll feel your boobs throughout the day to see if they are tender and stop at nothing to convince yourself that every cramp, pain, or twinge is a sign that you are pregnant.

Not my Megan, though. She's so afraid to get her hopes up again that she has actually convinced herself that she is not pregnant. (She's even trying to justify the brown CM she saw yesterday...gross, I know).

I don't blame her though. The TWW is an emotional roller coaster with potential for devastation. Just remember that "It is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all."

Baby Dust!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 weeks

Today we had our last appointment at RMA. It was bittersweet. We were able to spend some much needed time with Doctor Castlebaum. I know I have said it before, but he's seriously fantastic! 
The baby was moving all over the place. It was all amazing! 









We left something for them to remember us...


We will miss them dearly!



Our terrifying 20 week anatomy scan

We had our 20 week anatomy scan on Tuesday. Meg was actually 21 weeks. We told the ultrasound technician that we didn’t want to know the sex. The baby wasn’t cooperating, but we watched as she took pictures of the brain, spine, heart, etc. Everything looked good...or so we thought.
After the ultrasound we went into a different room for our appointment. The nurse practitioner checked the baby’s heartbeat (165) and asked Meg how she was feeling. 
Megan told her that she’s still feeling nauseous and is still taking diclegis at night.
All of the sudden the nurse practitioner nonchalantly handed me a paper and said “the ultrasound technician found a nodule on the baby’s neck. The doctor wants you to call this number and schedule an appointment with a perinatal specialist.”
On the back of the paper it had information about maternal screening and Down syndrome. I asked the nurse practitioner if they thought the baby had Down syndrome and she said it was just a sheet of paper with hospital phone …

Everything is better when you're at the beach

Four years ago Megan and I brought Avery to Ocean City, New Jersey for a mini family vacation. There, we tested positive (on Day 10) with Harper. We were surrounded by friends and family and minus the fact that Avery got her first bad ear infection and the trip ended with us in a NJ emergency room, it was perfect.
Today is Day 10 and again we are in Ocean City with family and friends. We went to bed REALLY late. I had a hard time falling asleep and when I did I had dreams about testing. Harper just woke me up to go to the bathroom (she rarely does that). It's 3:20AM Megan just took a pregnancy test and the results are in...