Never a dull moment

Flashback to last Wednesday...I drove to school with my hand pressing against my lower right side. (I'd been having pain since Monday, but figured I was just ovulating and needed to suck it up.) By the time I got to school I could barely move without wincing. I sat curled over on the chair as my friend googled ovarian cysts, appendicitis, gall bladders, and pretty much every other ailment we could think of...my colleagues started making bets as to what was wrong with me (in their defense, they insisted that I leave, but I didn't want to)

I managed to make it until 10:45 (I spent most of the morning sitting in a chair.) I called Meg and told her the pain had gotten worse and that I was going to go to the ER. She met me at home and we went to the hospital by our house.

We waited in the ER for a long time. They scheduled me a CAT scan and an internal ultrasound..ugh! I did the ultrasound like a champ, but had an allergic reaction to the Barium drink and had to take benadryl (big surprise, right?!)

The ultrasound technician told me there was evidence of fluid in my uterus (apparently this happens when a cyst ruptures). I went down for the CT scan assuming I would be heading home shortly...seemed like a reasonable diagnosis.

WRONG! The doctor came over and told me he wanted to examine me before telling me the results of the scan...never a good sign. Kind of annoyed, I asked him, "Why? Do I have appendicitis?" "Well, that's what we're trying to find out," he replied.

Speeding ahead...he paged a surgeon down for a consult. The surgeon said he didn't think it was appendicitis, but the CT scan showed an enlarged tubular structure where the appendix would be..translation=I'd like to keep you over night for monitoring.

Meg and Mom and changed shifts back and forth, so that I didn't have to be alone...well, at least not until the bitchy nurse kicked Meg out...(she was better off sleeping in our bed than in a hospital waiting room)

By the time Meg came the next morning I was curled in a little ball and had a low fever. The technician took more blood (to check my white blood cells) and I waited for the surgeon to come in.

He came in around 10 and suggested that we proceed with the surgery. I figured I'd have a few hours to  process the information (though I kind of saw it coming based on how my night went) but the nurse came in and said they were going to prep me for surgery...

I had a laparoscopy and appendectomy. My appendix was fine (so technically I didn't NEED this surgery) but the doc was able to suck out some of the fluid from the cyst.

I have three small incisions (one in my belly button, one on my left side of my belly, and one long one under my belly-to the right of my belly button) I can't lift anything more than 10 lbs and have to wait until Tuesday to go back to work. Feels nice! (especially when I laugh and sneeze)

On the bright side, I don't have to ever worry when I get a sharp pain on my right side!

As for Meg, she's doing great. The nausea is almost completely gone. Her appetite is going strong...she actually enjoyed the hospital cafeteria, lol! She's still a little tired, but I think that's more a result of emotional stress than the pregnancy.

The baby is the size of a lemon and most likely busy sucking his/her thumb right now! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Combating gas

One Week Later...

First Visit to the Pediatrician