Fight or Flight

We live on a small one way street. We practice the whole "look both ways" every chance we get. The girls will ride their bikes in the street on occasion (they are only allowed when we are standing out there to monitor) Mack is young so she definitely struggles with why we can go in the street sometimes and not others. She has run away from us on occasion and each time we made a HUGE deal about why it isn't safe.

We just went to take the girls out to play in the snow. I was in the driveway clearing snow off the car. Megan had gone back into the house to grab the keys for the mailbox. It was really windy. Mack's sled blew into the street. It is one of those disc sleds and she was wearing mittens so she was having a hard time picking it up. All of a sudden I heard Megan screaming Mack's name..I looked and could see an SUV speeding down the street.. Megan took off and somehow managed to get to Mack in time. She was literally crouched down with her body shielding Mack. 

I could have lost both of them. It happened that fast. Thank GOD Megan came out when she did and reacted without hesitation. I was literally frozen. I couldn't move my legs. All I could do was scream "STOP!"

Hug your loved ones. Life is precious. 

Comments

  1. That's terrifying. I know all parents have that one irrational fear. For me, it's always been one of my kids being hit by a vehicle, so reading this made my stomach turn. I'm so glad everything was ok.
    Glad to see you're blogging again. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Combating gas

One Week Later...

First Visit to the Pediatrician