The moment we've all been waiting for...

Today was our 20 week ultrasound. It felt like we'd been waiting for this day forever! (maybe that's because I hate surprises) We both took off from work so that we could get an early appointment. It worked out well because they took us back into the room about 15 minutes after our scheduled appointment time (not bad considering how long we have had to wait in the past!)

Once in the room, the ultrasound tech asked us why we were there. I was confused and a little disheartened by her question...shouldn't they know why we were coming?!

THEN she started talking about twins. "Twins!?" we asked. A moment later she smiled and said, "OH!!! Your chart has two female symbols. I assumed it was for twins, but it must represent the two of you!" We all laughed for a moment, but I swear my blood pressure must have shot through the roof!

I asked her if she would tell us the gender as soon as she found out or if we would have to wait until the end. She told us that normally she makes people wait, but since she scared us with the twin comment she might break her own rule.

I tried videotaping, but she told me I wasn't allowed. (I wish I could have because we saw the baby swallow, wave, and stick out her tongue)

Yep, that's right. It's a GIRL!!!

The technician wasn't sure at first because she couldn't get a good look. The baby was too busy being a show off (she would move her hand in the way when the technician tried to take pictures of her feet) lol, it sounds cute now, but it wasn't at the time!!!

After about 10 minutes of trying, the technician made Meg go to the bathroom to see if the baby would switch positions. I started freaking out! I didn't want to have to wait another 4 weeks!! 

Fortunately, Meg came back and the baby gave the technician a quick shot. The technician reviewed the pictures and sure enough, she said, "it's a baby girl."

The funny thing is that while she was doing the ultrasound I was looking to see if I could pick up anything. There was one moment where the baby's legs were up in the air and you could see her butt. I started thinking, "Oh my gosh, it's a girl! This child is going to hate me. I've been calling her a boy for over a week! I need to pick a name..."

The first name that came to mind was Avery (it's been at the top of Meg's list for a while) but I was holding out. When we went back into the waiting room before our regular check up I leaned over to Meg and said I liked the name Avery. She agreed. 

And just like that, the baby in Meg's belly became a reality...We are having a baby girl. Our daughter, Avery Anne Wiegand will be named after my best friend and my mom!

Here are the pictures from the ultrasound...check out her legs! She had them all the way over her head at one point.



















Here is our picture with Santa Claus...this is how we announced the news to our friends and family!





















Finally, this is Meg's 20 week photo. Avery is the length of a banana! (Can you tell Bailey loves bananas?!?!)





















We'll save the drama from our Babies R Us registry for another day!!! Time to go relax and get ready for tomorrow's trip to NYC!!

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you..all of the tests came back great, but the technician was unable to see the baby's spine (because she was on her back and refused to move!) so we have to go back in for another ultrasound next Thursday (December 15th)!

Comments

  1. Congrats on baby Avery! That is so exciting! I have read in a few different places that most donor babies are boys, so I kind of figured that everyone just gets boys (plus everyone I have heard about had had boys). I am happy to hear that there is a chance of girls as well!!! ;) We are so thrilled for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazed by you sharing...remembering each moment with mine & can't wait until you share more! Jen write a book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much!!!

    I would love to write a book. I've always wanted to write a children's book (I even have the idea in my head AND an illustrator, but I can never find the time to sit down)

    At this point, I'm thinking I need to write a book on how to survive registering for your baby!!! It's insane!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Moms-I wanted to tell you that our friends (who also did IUI) are having a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I just found your blog. Congrats on the baby girl! :) I keep wondering if that's what we're having, since everyone we know seems to end up with boys. Nice to hear there are some girls out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, yay!!! And thank you!!! We're super excited! We thought we were going to have a boy because all of our friends had/are having girls. Guess we'll just have HUGE play dates lol.

    How far along are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay a girl! How exciting!!! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Combating gas

One Week Later...

First Visit to the Pediatrician